This is a bit early to be posting next month's themes, but I've been sitting on these for a while, so I hope I can be forgiven. :D;
The theme for this March: the lyrics of Stephen Sondheim.
March 2007: Putting It Together
1. the heart knows the world's disguise
2. leave the lies ill-concealed and the wounds never healed and the games not worth winning
3. my cage has many rooms, damask and dark
4. however you live, there's a part of you always standing by, mapping out the sky
5. I am nothing, you are wind and devil and God
6. no more curses you can't undo, left by fathers you never knew
7. you impersonate a person better than a zombie should
8. demons'll charm you with a smile for a while
9. the challenge: bring order to the whole
10. look into their eyes, and you'll see what they know: everybody dies
11. once the words are spoken, something may be broken
12. I would murder him right there, but first I die
13. and what if none of their souls were saved?
14. tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight
15. I don't know how I let you so far inside my mind
16. gods are crumbling somewhere, machines are rumbling somewhere
17. no arguments, shut up and dance
18. with so little to be sure of in this world, hold me
19. how painful dreams can be unless you know they're merely dreams
20. what was just a world is a star tonight
21. you just shed a little blood, and a lot of people shed a lot of tears
22. the farther you run, the more you feel undefined, for what you have left undone, and more, what you've left behind
23. I'd want you beautiful and pale, the way I've dreamed you were
24. forever, which is maybe the most horrifying word I ever heard of
25. I can slay a dragon any old week
26. too many people muddle sex with mere desire, and when emotion intervenes the nets descend
27. sometimes when the wrappings fall, there's nothing underneath at all
28. they do an awful lot of dancing, the dead
29. take my blood and my body for your love
30. so there's hell to pay and until I die, I'll die day after day
31. it's the last midnight, it's the last wish
1. Pacific Overtures, "There Is No Other Way."
2. Follies, "Could I Leave You?"
3. Sweeney Todd, "Green Finch and Linnet Bird."
4. Sunday in the Park with George, "Finishing the Hat."
5. Assassins, "Unworthy of Your Love."
6. Into the Woods, "No More."
7. Company, "You Could Drive a Person Crazy."
8. Sweeney Todd, "Not While I'm Around."
9. Sunday in the Park with George, title song.
10. Company, "The Ladies Who Lunch."
11. Dick Tracy, "What Can You Lose?"
12. A Little Night Music, "Every Day a Little Death."
13. Sweeney Todd, "Prologue/The Ballad of Sweeney Todd."
14. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, "Comedy Tonight."
15. Passion, "I Wish I Could Forget You."
16. Pacific Overtures, "The Advantages of Floating in the Middle of the Sea."
17. Gypsy, "You'll Never Get Away from Me."
18. Anyone Can Whistle, "With So Little to Be Sure Of."
19. Passion, "I Read."
20. West Side Story, "Tonight."
21. Assassins, "Another National Anthem."
22. Into the Woods, "No More."
23. Sweeney Todd, "Johanna (Second Reprise)."
24. Company, "Getting Married Today."
25. Anyone Can Whistle, title song.
26. A Little Night Music, "Liaisons."
27. Follies, "Ah, But Underneath."
28. The Frogs, "Evoe for the Dead."
29. Assassins, "Unworthy of Your Love."
30. Merrily We Roll Along, "Not a Day Goes By."
31. Into the Woods, "Last Midnight."
After I'd been pondering these for a while, I realized, much to my embarrassment, that way too many of them were...rather emo. So the last revision of the themes involved an attempt at balancing this emo. There are still a lot of angsty ones, but hopefully they're also interesting.
The process of putting these prompts together also involved trashing a lot of others that didn't quite fit. So just in case anyone gets inspired by them as well, I'm including the lines that didn't quite make the cut here:
"what you feel when voices that come through the window go until they distance and die, until there's nothing but sky" [Sunday in the Park with George, "Finishing the Hat"]
"and at times I think I would gladly die for a day of sky" [Evening Primrose, "I Remember"]
"and what's around the corner, if by chance you lose your pants" [Bounce, "The Game"]
"and in that darkness when I'm blind with what I can't forget, it's always morning in my mind" [Sweeney Todd, "Johanna (Second Reprise)"]
"I am diminished, with or without you" [Sunday in the Park with George, "We Do Not Belong Together"]
"attempting to see a connection when all he can see is maybe a tree" [Sunday in the Park with George, "Lesson #8"]
"my right arm is complete again" [Sweeney Todd, "My Friends"]
"out there blood flows...who knows?" [Pacific Overtures, "The Advantages of Floating in the Middle of the Sea"]
"waiting to return you to the night, dizzy from the height" [Sunday in the Park with George, "Finishing the Hat"]
"don't you know, silly man, half the fun is to plan the plan?" [Sweeney Todd, "Wait"]
"if only angels could prevail, we'd be the way we were" [Sweeney Todd, "Johanna (Second Reprise)"]
"so then which do you pick: where you're safe out of sight and yourself, but where everything's wrong, or where everything's right, and you know that you'll never belong?" [Into the Woods, "On the Steps of the Palace"]
"careful the tale you tell: that is the spell" [Into the Woods, "Children Will Listen"]
"walk on the grass, it was meant to feel" [Anyone Can Whistle, "Everybody Says Don't"]
"I'm a fragment of the day" [Pacific Overtures, "Someone in a Tree"]
"beauty is power, longing a disease" [Passion, "Flashback"]
"no more giants waging war" [Into the Woods, "No More"]
"they find each other in the crowded streets and the guarded parks" [Company, "Another Hundred People"]
"the ones who follow the rules, and meet themselves at the schools, too busy to know that they're fools" [Company, "The Ladies Who Lunch"]
"it started out like a song" [Merrily We Roll Along, "Good Thing Going"]
"faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize" [Follies, "Beautiful Girls"]
"seize the moment; skies may fall any moment" [Into the Woods, "Any Moment"]
"anything can happen in the woods...may I kiss you?" [Into the Woods, "Any Moment"]
"I see her like the sun in the center of a pool, sending ripples to the shore, till my journey's end" [Pacific Overtures, "Poems"]
"you move just a finger, say the slightest word, something's bound to linger, be heard" [Into the Woods, "No One Is Alone"]
"the fact remains when all is said and done, the fun is in the winning, not what's won" [Bounce, "The Game"]
"here's how to feel--have fun, lady--and a fond goodbye" [Anyone Can Whistle, "See What It Gets You"]
"the ground could open, he would still say 'please'" [Sunday in the Park with George, title song]
I hope people find these themes inspiring. :)